Why should you consider using used parts when repairing your car?
The real reason why people consider using ‘Recycled used parts’ is mainly because of the enormous value which you can get if you really know where to look and who to buy from. The average saving between using a new part purchased from a Main dealer and sourcing one in a Dismantler’s yard is about 80 to 85%, depending on what the part is required and where you decide to buy it.
The problem with non trade people using a Dismantler’s, Breaker’s yard to source any part is that they don’t always know exactly what they are looking for or how to describe it to the ‘Man in the Yard’ and car models change all the time even within the same Registration year.
Here are few tips which may help you with your search for quality used vehicle parts:
- Know what you need for your car. Dismantlers don’t like when people call them without their facts. It wastes both your time and their time.
- Get your mechanic to write down exactly what you require to repair your car, explaining how to describe and discuss it accurately with the ‘Man in the Yard’……….. The vehicle Dismantler.
- Before you start phoning any of the yards ‘ad hoc’, find an a GOOD Website on-line who can do the searching for you. This will save you a huge amount of time making phone calls looking for parts which may not be in stock in the yards which you choose to call.
- Try and find a website which has the facility to allow you input your Registration No at the start of the search. ifindparts.com . This function will display the accurate Make, Model and Engine Code to the Dismantler who needs this correct information to pick your part/s.
- Describe exactly what you are looking for in the space provided on the site. The more description you give the more chance you have of locating the correct part, first time every time.
- Attach a photograph to the request if possible. A picture speaks a thousand words! This option will be available on good Websites who operate in this space.
- Wait a while and see who replies to your request. If you get some replies then call them to discuss the Price, condition, and terms of sale.
- You may find that some Dismantlers will reply with a price already attached, but you should always call them to discuss the terms and conditions of sale, before deciding who to buy from.
- Always ask the Dismantler to agree that if the part is faulty or incorrect, you can return it and get your money back.
- If possible try to buy from a Dismantler closest to where you live as it is easier to bring the part back if something goes wrong with it.
- Dismantlers are very knowledgeable about vehicle parts and they may be able to advise you about some alternative part which could be used.
- Don’t’ buy any ‘wear and tear items’ from dismantlers E.G brake pads, clutch discs, brake hoses etc. These parts should always be purchased new, either from a Main dealer or spurious from a Motor Factor.
- If you cannot find your part today…try again tomorrow as Dismantlers stocks are constantly changing.
Buying good quality used vehicle parts is good for our environment and good for your pocket too. It keeps lots of people gainfully employed in the recycling business and